Visiting new countries is also about eating new food and experiencing unique culinary adventure. It is considered a poor travel decision to eat only in fast food restaurants or at the hotel, where we could eat only common food selections. However, there are many things we should consider before trying new things to eat:
- Learn Key Phrases: In a new country it is very essential to learn to communicate with the waiters. We should learn key phrases to know what are the primary ingredients of the food and how they are cooked. Common words to learn may include meat, vegetables, fishes and others. It’s also considered a courtesy to learn others’ language. We shouldn’t assume that everyone can speak English, especially in areas where people are more reluctant to learn it, such as Japan and France. If we don’t have time to learn their language in great depth, it is also advisable to install a translation app in our smartphone to help us with the communication gets a little tricky.
- Research the local cuisine: Learning more about our destination country could help us a lot in the end. It would help us to find food that we want to eat or avoid. As an example, France is known for their love of butter and people with certain health conditions may want to avoid some of the dishes.
- Look for restaurants that cater specific needs: If you are vegetarians or prefer to avoid certain types of meat, then it is a good idea to look for restaurants that cater for your need. Finding suitable eating places can be very practical and we could visit attractions on specific times of the day because the availability of suitable restaurants. Knowing where restaurants to visit can be very uplifting for any travellers with special preferences or restriction.
- Consider our body reactions: While many travellers can eat anything they want, some of them could react differently to specific food. As an example, some people could have severe intolerance to dairy products, which cause vomiting, nausea, dizziness and migraine. This is particularly true in areas where dairy products are used liberally, such as Italy. Some countries are also known for their frequent uses of peanuts as condiment or ingredients. For this reason, people with allergic reactions to peanut should frequently ask whether the dish have even the slightest traces of peanuts.
- Monitor our body: Travelling a country at the other side of the planet could have a major effect on our body and we should be certain we won’t be adversely affected. Local food could also affect the way our body behaves. As an example, some countries could add a significant amount of dairy products and we may eventually discover how these ingredients could actually affect our body after being exposed for a longer period of time. By understanding changes we feel, we would know how to feel more comfortable during a travel. Consult the local doctors if we feel somewhat uncomfortable.