Nanded, a comparatively smaller city in the state of Maharashtra, might not be that popular in the tourist map but actually carries rich cultural and religious significance. If you’re planning for trip to the historic and religious city of Nanded, here are some major tourist attractions in the city you need to visit.
The city of Nanded in Maharashtra is one those lesser known cities in the state, but carries a strong cultural and religious significance. Also famous as an industrial hub in the region, the city is well connected with the rest of the country. You can easily find a Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai or Delhi to Nanded flights to reach the destination. Here are some of the best attractions you can visit in the city of Nanded.
- Gurudwara Hazur Sahib – Also known as Hazoor Sahib and Takht Sri Hazur Sahib or Abchal Nagar, this significant gurudwara is one of the five takhts or thrones for the Sikhs. The ancient Gurudwara is situated on the banks of the Godavari river. The gurudwara is supposed to be the resting place of the tenth master, Guru Gobind Singh Ji, who passed on the Guru Granth Sahib as the final and eternal guru of the Sikhs. The gurudwara was constructed under the supervision of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, the king of Punjab. The structure houses both the Sri Guru Granth Sahib and the Sri Dasam Granth and sees thousands of devotees and tourists each year.
- Renuka Mata Temple – This ancient temple is amongst the four major religious spots in the state of Maharashtra which is considered as the home to three and half Goddesses, the other three being Tuljapur, Kolhapur, Saptashrungi and Mahur (with half Goddess). The temple is dedicated to the half Goddess known as Renuka, who is also the mother of Parashurama, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. The temple is about 130 kms away from the city of Nanded and the temple complex is constructed by the King Devgiri, a ruler in the Yadava clan, about 9000 years ago.
- Nanded Fort – Situated about 4 kms from the Nanded Railway Station, the Nanded Fort is a wonderful historic location to explore. With the exotic river Godavari bordering the fort area from its three sides, the fort also has a beautiful garden and fountains adding to its glory.
- Masjid of Biloli – This famous masjid is also known as the Hazrat Nawab Sarfaraz Khan Sahid Masjid and considered to be built some 300 years ago. Nawab Sarfaraz Khan was an important officer in the Emperor Aurangzeb’s army. The mosque complex is built entirely with stone with beautiful minarets in its four corners. This beautiful masjid is located in the Biloli village, located on the fringes of Nanded town.
- Penganga Waterfall – This natural haven lies in the vast Kinwat jungles of Yavatmal and Nanded region. The entire forest area is spread across an area of more than 140 sq. kms. The beautiful waterfall cruises through the jungle to end as a beautiful pool and create an excellence heaven of natural beauty.
These beautiful and enriching tourist places in the city of Nanded are some of the best places to explore the local culture and history. Nanded tourism offers few more other attractions in the city which can be explored by taking guided tour packages.